For as long as bands, clans, tribes and cultures have been, it’s been true that men have gathered together with men, and women with women. In the larger American culture, some traditions such as this have faded or become splintered. We believe there is merit in the perennial wisdom, which encourages us to gather as men, that is worth exploring and enlivening in our modern context.
Our Menís Culture provides an
excellent introduction to community as a context for personal and social
transformation. Our culture has a special role to fill in the development of boys and young men. We value our sons, welcome them to
our retreats, and provide a curriculum for them appropriate for their
The Men's Culture offers the following and is open to all men:
1. We are a circle of men friends old and new who gather for work parties and occasional weekends and have been doing so for over 25 years.
2. Our circle is open to any man who is attracted to and finds
enjoyment and value in a culture such as ours.
3. Our circle was initiated by and is infused with the vision and
energy of John L. Hoff, a friend and mentor to many men.
4. Our purpose is multifaceted;
- We come together to learn practical skills of being a good man
and to support each other in the underlying personal growth that
enables the abilities and attitudes of these practical skills.
(e.g., relating with emotional intelligence).
- We strive to honor and recognize eldership amongst our circle
and the stages of male development.
- We are activists on behalf of good men everywhere.
- We have and continue to study "The Men's Movement" in its many
aspects, seeking to integrate the best thinking and practices and
network with other men's groups.
5. We have a story that is full of joys and sorrows for the sometimes
painful and sometimes triumphant experiences of our group and its
individuals. It is our intent to learn from our own stories.
For more information, contact:
Bruce Perler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.419.8361